Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reality Bites:



Most days we kinda get by going to mtgs, doing emails, conference calls and doing the myriad of tasks that fill up an 9 hour outlook calender. Today was not one of those days....

What made today different was I had an epiphany about my own value to my organization.

It started out like just about everyday, but then it happened...I realized that I had been cut out of an important meeting, and that was the good part. I then was informed an area of our business that i supervised had been transfered or rather outsourced at approximately 4 times the cost of running it internally...So the normal person would scratch their head and think WTF (you know what thats an acronym for). Not me, I got hostile and went to my boss (who also happens to be the top guy). He gave me a bullshit response...

So there I was standing in a hallway feeling empty and confused...I have a few areas under my control, well maybe not control. Lets say on an org chart they report to me. Well now one less area. So I freaked and I wrote a nastygram to the individuals that I thought had masterminded this devious plan. ANd of course i hit the delete button and never sent it. We know that nastygrams just lead to other nastygrams. In the end nothing was going to come of my anger. In the end none of it really matters, except to me.

The lesson, if there is one is don't take any of it to seriously (unless you own the company). Only owners really "own" the business. You might think of yourself as an owner, but its only a "lease" at best. Leases can be broken...I am having a glass of wine and watching the office...I need to drown my sorrows...

Tommorrow is a new day, and I will have to put it behind me, and check my outlook to see what the day might bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment